7 Signs of Mold Illness

Mold can cause serious health problems when it’s in your living or workplace. Mold is more likely to occur in climates with a lot of humidity or rain, because it is the moisture that makes a great growing environment for mold.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends drying any wet areas within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. In addition to health problems, mold can destroy any surface that it grows on by deteriorating it as if it was in a landfill exposed to the elements. This goes for walls, flooring, ceilings, furniture, etc.

Mold grows by releasing spores which can be inhaled. The spores are too small to be seen by the naked eye, so we inhale them into our lungs without even knowing it. We can also come into contact with mold through our skin. For example, you may touch a surface that has unseen mold on it and then later touch your face or an open sore where the mold can get inside your body. Once inside the body, mold can cause health problems that can look like the following:

1. Muscle pain not due to a strain

Unexplained muscle pain that isn’t caused by strenuous activity is one sign of a mold illness. The muscle pain can be anywhere in the body. Muscle cramps and sharp, intense ‘pin prick’ pains have also been reported when people come into contact with mold.

2. Twitching, tingling, or numbness

That sensation of pins and needles when your hand falls asleep after you’ve had it in an awkward position is the tingling sensation that people suffering from a mold illness have reported.

3. Depressed mood